The Art Studios
The Art Studios has been recognized, both nationally and internationally, as a model of psycho-social rehabilitation for mental illness and addiction issues – because it works! It is a safe, respectful and accepting community where people with major mental illnesses and addiction engage with rehabilitation staff to recover and grow through art. The Studios offers free classes and workshops on painting, ceramics, printmaking and more. Currently 278 active clients, who have been referred by their medical professionals, enjoy the structure, warmth and hope for the future that The Art Studios provides. Close to 4000 clients have been helped since its beginning in 1994.
Recover Through Art raises funds for The Art Studios and is committed to securing its future. Our registered charity was created in 2012 by instructors and clients of The Art Studios who witnessed the power of art in recovery from mental illness and addictions.
Before coming to The Studios many clients have trouble just getting out of the house. Our programs provide them with structure, enjoyment, community and a safe respectful place to grow.
Results from Spring 2016 show how Recovery Through Art works!
- 10 clients are now employed as instructors
- 15 clients now volunteer as class assistant, mentor, and peer support
- 44 clients are showing art in the community
- 10 clients are organizing public exhibitions
- 8 clients are in an advisory committee
- 10 clients have gone on to university or college level learning
- 5 clients now teach art in the community
- 30 clients started part-time jobs
- 5 clients resumed completion of Masters and PhD programs
- 20 clients opened their own studio or set-up home studio
- 20 clients sold significant numbers of artwork to public
“Recreation’s purpose is not to kill time, but to make life, not to keep a person occupied, but to keep them refreshed; not to offer an escape from life, but to provide a discovery of life.” ~ Author Unknown